Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Family updates - Kristin and Steven 11/15/09

ROZANN & STEVEN:

November 15, 2009
Just thought I’d write you a little note to let you know what’s been up with us.

We have been busy as usual. That seems to be the nature of life. We are doing well though. We watched (my sister’s (Shandette) baby, Cayden, Oct 29-Nov 4 while they went to Mexico for a wedding. They planned layovers in Phoenix to drop off and pick up Cayden. The kids LOVED having him here. Tanner even asked if we could keep him. Shay adored having someone to mother.

Tanner finished football the last weekend in October—the 31st. He enjoyed playing this year and even wanted to be a football player for Halloween, which made getting a costume very easy as he already had the whole uniform. Besides Tanner, Brianna was Alice in Wonderland, Ashley was Little Mermaid, and Shay was Cat Woman. Steve was a last minute biker dude, and Cayden was a pirate. Shandette purchased the outfit beforehand.

I had a yard sale with my friends the first weekend in November (Nov 6 & 7). I was excited to sell some big items and de-clutter my bedroom. The next weekend, we had our ward’s Super Saturday, which I was in charge of. With the help of a couple friends, we put together crafts to make, and then I was in charge of getting signups and collecting money. That job seems to fall to me since I don’t mind doing it. We volunteer to organize the Super Saturday, and we keep asking ourselves why. We haven’t come up with an answer yet, but we continue to do it year after year. It’s a little work, but it’s fun.

Soccer just ended for Brianna and Ashley Saturday (11/14) with an end-of-the-season party. They had their last game on Thursday.

Steve went to Stake Priesthood meeting tonight and just called to say they were stopped on the highway by an accident in front of them. Evidently, they drove up right as the helicopter landed. It causes concern knowing it could have been someone we know driving back home. Luckily, it was not.

Shay is talking more and more and speaking in short sentences. She loves to sing but not on command. Most of the time she requests to sing The Wise Man, which she must sing in nursery. I had trouble figuring out what song she was trying to get me to sing at first as she beat her fist into her hand. I had to call my friend who is the nursery leader. Despite her age, she strives to be just like the other kids. Tonight Ashley was writing a letter, so Shay got a paper and pencil and echoed, “Mom, next?” Meaning what’s next, just like Ashley was asking to spell words for her letter. She’s funny. The kids just laugh at the cute things she does. She is adored by all.

Not sure if we’ve shared this, but Steve and I have committed to run a Ragnar race here in Arizona the end of this coming February—we have some friends that are organizing a team. The Ragnar is a 190-mile, 12-man race. Each person runs three different legs for a total of 15-21 miles. We haven’t gotten our official leg assignment, but I think Steve and I will each end up running somewhere around 18 miles. So we’ve been running a lot more than we normally do. We’re nothing speedy, but it’s kind of fun to have something to work toward. It should be interesting.

Anyway, that is what’s up with us.

Love,
Rozann and fam

PS: I’m sending a little video of Shay and our activities tonight. The background music is Tanner practicing.




KRISTIN:
Sunday, November 15, 2009

A good night to curl up on the couch, turn on the fire and write a little bit. I can’t stay up too late because I was up too late last night trying to balance the check book – never a good thing to start at 10:30 p.m. but I was waiting for Dallin to finish his “man party”. So here’s some of this week’s comical and normal moments.
Thursday is our piano morning. Aubrey goes to piano at 6:30 and then I take Calla & Elizabeth to piano at 7:30 a.m. It’s a bit of a rushed morning. I drop Calla & Liz off at 8:30 and usually go visit Jonathan’s grandma. However, this week, Dallin texted me as I was driving the girls to school asking me to call him out of school because he was going to sing the National Anthem at the state volleyball tournament at the Toyota Center at 9. I took that as my invitation to listen to him sing – I’ve never heard him sing in that type of setting before. So, I dropped the girls off at school and turned around to go to the Toyota Center. Got in free – gotta use the side door & accompany the singers. I listened to him sing in a quartet – they did great. I was proud. Richland girls were playing in the first games and so Dallin wanted to stay & asked me if I’d take the group to school when the games were over. So I decided to stay too. Now, I had planned to spend the entire day finishing my prep work for Cub Scout Roundtable, which I was in charge of. I had a some good preparation done, but needed to spend a significant bit of time finishing. I enjoyed the 5 very close volleyball games RHS played, but only won 2-5. I headed home intent on working on scouting. I spent the rest of the afternoon doing just that – forget the laundry and kitchen, which are my normal a.m. routines. Calla came home from school, took one look at the dishes on the counter and said, “Mom, what have you been doing all day? My breakfast dishes are still on the counter. What a slacker…” Of course, I’m dying laughing as only Calla could say it so and informed her she should take care of her own dishes, then her slacker mom wouldn’t have to. Well, the kitchen did get clean, the laundry done, roundtable presented and I enjoyed my day at the flexibility of the “stay-at-home-mom” to be able to listen to Dallin’s quartet.
Aubrey’s funny for the week was last night as she was making cookies for a neighbor and Dallin & his “man party” friends. The dough was thick and she was using the hand mixer. I heard her from downstairs call Dallin to come help her…her voice sounded a little pleading, unusual, so I came to investigate. Sure enough, the beaters had become jammed and she had tried to unjam them with her fingers, which became jammed in the beaters. If I’d had my camera close, I totally would have taken a picture. I’m sure the crying and tears would have been louder if the boys from Dallin’s gathering weren’t there. I also assured her that in a few years when she goes on a date with one of them, they’ll remind her of that cookie experience. Don’t worry, I’m sure her hands were clean when she started and the cookies turned out delicious!
I told Dallin that I’d noticed we needed to go to G&G Sorensen’s to rake leaves. He said, “Yeah, it’s time for the party. Grandpa usually had me, Trenton & Brendan over to rake leaves.” He paused, then said, “Wait, if Grandpa’s not there, who’s going to work?” Not sure if the leaves will get raked this year or not!
Elizabeth has responsibly gathered a group of 4 girls to sing “Come Follow Me” in Sacrament Meeting in a couple of weeks. I’ve been impressed with her initiative to call the girls and schedule practice time. Elizabeth will accompany them.
Jonathan spoke in the Benton City ward today. He prepared a long talk, thinking he was the last speaker and would have to speak longer – not so. The youth speaker took a significant amount of time as did the other high counselor speaker; so he shortened his talk. You never know what to prepare for when you’re the last speaker. He’s been battling a cold – hope it ends soon.
I have a lot of vinyl lettering projects for people I need to be doing, but this week was spent preparing for Stake Leadership meeting, Cub Scout Roundtable and being the mom. So, I’m hoping to get to that this week. Tomorrow, however, I’m watching 2 little boys who’s mom is out of town – they’re 1 ½ & 2 ½ - that’ll keep me in the play room for the day. It’ll be fun to have all those toys be played with that don’t get used anymore. I can’t get rid of them – but I did officially get rid of all my car seats and my double stroller – sniff. A sad parting.
Brendan will be home this weekend, provided he finds a ride – nothing like waiting until the last minute. I’ve got things for him to do to keep him busy while he’s at home. We did paint Dallin’s room yesterday…still working on the reconstruction since the flood of August, 2009…hope we’re done before the end of the year. Soccer is over now, so our Saturday’s are a bit more free. Last weekend was the soccer jamboree – end of season tourney – so we watched 6 soccer games and C&E participated in the ribbon festival for piano, which took a couple of hours on Saturday. It was a long day.
That’s all for tonight. Love to you, my family and friends. May you each be finding peace and serving others.
Love,
Kristin & Co.

No comments:

Post a Comment

We'd love to hear from you!