Saturday, September 12, 2009

8/21/09 THE END OF THE FIRST WEEK

We now celebrate one week in Norway.  We have had some good experiences already and are looking forward to meeting the members on Sunday. We met with the branch president on Wednesday evening to see how we could best help him . He said the branch has about 260 members--about 75 of whom are active and on any given Sunday there are probably about 60 in attendance.  He said it would be helpful if we could visit with many of those who don't get to church,  The branch is large geographically, about 80 mils from north to south, so I expect we will get to see a lot more than just Trondheim. The branch president is young, about late 20's, married with their first child a few months old. He is a student, majoring in Business Management and his wife is also a student majoring in law. 
Last night I saw a woman in the back yard of the house that adjoins our back yard, so I thought I would go get acquainted. When I got out there, there was an older man with her and she was picking red currants from a couple of bushes in their yard. I introduced myself and he told me he was her father, she was visiting there for the evening. Soon her brother and husband came out to visit. By this time, I had gone back to our house and had mom come out to meet them .The father is a retired teacher--math and biology. the son lives in the upper part of the house with his family and the father in the lower floor. The daughter and her husband live in another part of town. We talked among other things, about how delicious currants are when served with a valilla sauce as they do here in Norway.  After a while, we excused ourselves and returned to our apt. In a few minutes, the father (Rolf) was at our door with the bowl of currants his daughter had been picking. I put some in a bowl and went to return the remainder to him and he insisted that we take them all--which I was happy to do. 
This evening when we got back to our apt for dinner, I went out and picked a large bowl of currants from bushes in our landlord's yard..Some I kept and some I gave to the landlady. She came to visit last night for a while and I asked if there was anything we could do for her--she said pick the berries.  They put a rather thick vanilla sauce on them and it is delicious!  I think we bought a couple of packages of the sauce mix when we were here 4 years ago. They are probably still somewhere in the kitchen if any of you want to try some.
Sorry to hear of your flood Kristin. But Aubrey has experience taking out wallboard, so put her to work.
Glad to hear that Bracken's problems are getting cleared up. He and Cam should be heading off to school soon. The water here looks pretty good for skiing, but I have not seen any boats out doing anything. Every harbor has lots of boats, but they seen to stay there.  I asked the mission presidents wife if t was OK for me to teach the young adults here to water ski and she said as long as it is not the missionaries. Now I just need to find someone with a boat!
There are two young sister missionaries here in Trondheim and they are very good. We have met with them a couple of times this week and sat in on a meeting they were having with a young college student to teach her about the Church. 
Next wednesday there is a conference with the mission president for the missionaries in the northern part of the country, so we will fly to Oslo for the day.
Love to all of you and your families.
Mom and dad

No comments:

Post a Comment

We'd love to hear from you!