Sunday, January 24, 2010

Steven update

Hello,
 
I hope you are enjoying winter weather like we have in Arizona this last week.  No snow or freezing temps, but a change in climate like something AZ has not had for 10 years here.  From Wed-Friday we had a least 6 inches of rain, 5 on Thursday alone.  That’s more rain than we have had for the last 18 months.  We have learned to really appreciate the rain while living here in the desert.  A 4 y/o girl said the prayer, by herself, in Primary today and the first thing she said was, “please send more rain.”  (Her grandparents and parents are ranchers and the cattle need water as well as the plant life it brings.)
 
Well, in case you haven’t noticed yet, this is Steve(n).  Rozann and I set a goal to write twice a month, and she said that meant one for her and once for me.  Not only that, but she has left me with the kids for the weekend, so I have nothing to do and nobody to fight over the computer with, so I guess I am writing my first bi-monthly update today.
 
Rozann’s Grandpa Woodward died this last week.  He lives in Paul, ID, near Burley (which is near Boise).  He owned and ran a dairy for as long as I’ve known him and he will be missed.  Rozann and I did not know how old he was until she found out today he was 93.  His health has been declining gradually for the last 5 years.  We have taken the kids to their house, still near the dairy, the last two summers, so we hope they will remember him, but I don’t think they have really seen the friendly, storyteller that he always was.  My greatest memory of him will be the way he charmed all of our wedding guests as he and Grandma were greeters at our wedding reception.  He always had a little joke or story for everyone, and  a Tootsie roll for the kids.  Anyway, Rozann flew out to SLC yesterday, where she met her sister, Maleah, from Colorado and they drove up to Paul today.  They stayed at her aunt’s house overnight and had 2-3 inches of snow by the time they woke up this morning, so driving was a bit more of a challenge than we are used to in AZ, but they made it.  Most of her siblings, 8/11, will be there for the funeral tomorrow, Monday.  She will be flying back home on Tuesday.
 
In the mean time, I am doing my best impersonation of a responsible father.  I find myself not thinking much of myself, and thinking a lot more about where my kids are, what they are doing, and what they will need to eat for the next meal.  Fortunately we have some very nice families in the area that are helping a lot.  One family, Shumways, invited us over for Sunday dinner tonight.  I am taking all the kids to another family’s house tomorrow morning so I can be to work by 7, and that mother is taking Tanner, Brianna, and Ashley to school and Shay to another mother who has a couple young children at home.  After work I will pick up all the kids from three different houses and we’ll see what we can do for a couple hours before they go to bed.  Tuesday I don’t have to be to work until 8, so I can probably drop the kids off at school and Shay off at our friends house before work.  Finally Rozann will be home on Tuesday, assuming all goes well, but not too well so that she wants to return home.  I certainly have greater love and appreciation for her when she is gone.  I don’t get much done when I am thinking about the kids so much.  I’m grateful for the support she gives me, by being a wonderful wife and mother.
 
Work has been busy this month, and hopefully will be for the next few months.  Usually the snowbirds (winter visitors to AZ) leave between April-May, so that causes business to slow down for the summer.  The new therapist has been working well, and I enjoy sharing the load this winter, although it still seems like there is not enough time in the day. 
 
Tanner, Brianna, and Ashley went to a basketball clinic yesterday and are preparing for the beginning of basketball season.  It’s usually from Feb-March and ends just in time for baseball to begin.  I think the season starts late because of a shortage of gyms for practices because of jr. high and high school teams practicing in their own gyms, and only one elementary school gym in town.  Anyway, they practiced some basic skills, then had a drawing for some Phoenix Suns prices.  Brianna was the only winner from our family, coming home with a hat, backpack, wrist bands, and an extra large t-shirt, which she will be able to wear for a night gown until it wears out.  They are excited to begin basketball.
 
Shay always wants to join right in with her older siblings.  When I handed in papers to sign T, B, and A up for basketball yesterday, one of the mothers had some old jerseys she was giving away and she gave one to Shay.  She promptly removed her jacket and put on the jersey.  As she and I walked into the gym the other kids had already begun stretching as a group, so Shay observed closely.  Then they split up into groups according to age and lined up to practice shooting.  Shay wandered right over where A and B were in line and figured she was dressed and ready to be part of the team.  She reminds me of myself, ready to play, just from watching older siblings play.
 
All in all these Sorensens are doing good.  Rozann and I will be participating in a half-marathon this Saturday, so wish us luck and send any advice you might have.  My goal is to finish without stopping or walking.  I’ve always considered running as a boring event, but I actually find that it clears my mind and brings increased self-esteem after I run.  I must be getting old.
 
Anyway, we love you all and thank you for your love and friendship.
 
Love,
 
Steve, Rozann, T, B, A, and S

No comments:

Post a Comment

We'd love to hear from you!