Monday, February 22, 2010

Family update - Steven version (by Rozann)

Sunday, February 14, 2010
(From Rozann’s viewpoint)
 
Howdy there,
 
Thought I would share a few things going on around here.  The biggest event being the half marathon Steve and I ran on the 30th.  It’s been a while, but we’ve only told a few people about it.  I guess you’ve figured that we survived, and we both did very well for our first time.  I was very precise about my goals of running the race in under two hours.  I had calculated how fast I needed to run per mile and practiced training many times at that pace.  Steve, on the other hand, trained some long distances but always just said he wanted to be able to make it through the race and run the whole thing.  When we got to the race, Steve shot out ahead of me and Sara (the friend I ran with).  He was running pretty fast, and I have to admit I was a little jealous that he was so far ahead when all he wanted to do was “just finish the race”.  I didn’t let that thought bother me long though because we were running at a good pace and were ahead of our goal.  Around mile 11, we saw Steve ahead of us.  As we caught up to him, he was struggling (possibly because he didn’t have enough food in him).  Anyway, we passed him and … I don’t know how to say this politely, but we beat him.  J  That wasn’t what I was trying to do, but Sara and I ran in 1 hour and 52 minutes, and Steve finished in 1 hour 55 minutes.  Steve really had a hard time the last three miles and felt like dying.  I thought I would have to go get the car for him, but then he polished off about 10 Oreos at the food table and felt fine.  I wasn’t trying to beat Steve.  It just happened that way.  As it turned out, Steve wasn’t vocalizing all his goals.  I found out afterwards that he wanted to beat me.  I’m not sure why that was his goal, but it was.  The next day our friends at church heckled him a bit.  Sunday, he kept talking repeatedly about the race to me.  Finally, I realized why he was talking about it so much.  I teased, “I met all my goals.  I’m content with my race.  You’re the only one with regrets (because you didn’t beat me), so now you’re going to want to do this again.”  Sure enough, by that evening he was talking about “the next one”.  I just had to laugh.  Initially, he was the one who didn’t want to run the half.
 
After running the half marathon, we were ready to quit training.  However, that hasn’t been an option since we have our relay race coming up in two weeks.  We don’t have to train so much on the long distances (10-12 miles), but we have been running more hills and practicing running 2-3 times a day.  I think we’re all ready to take a break from running.  My friend said she was going to take a WHOLE WEEK OFF after the race.  Steve said, “A whole week?  More like a whole month?”  However, he’s already planning with some friends to do a sprint triathlon in September.
 
As for the kids, we’ve had a bit of the sickies in our house lately.  Tanner has been sick a couple of times in the last few weeks, Brianna and Ashley were sick once, and Shay just got what Tanner has.  Shay’s been feeling miserable the last two days.
 
Tanner, Brianna, and Ashley had their first basketball games (which were more of a practice & scrimmage) last Saturday.  Steve is coaching Brianna and Ashley.  (They’re on the same team.)  Steve’s co-worker, Tyler Smith, is coaching Tanner’s team.  No basketball games were held this weekend due to Wickenburg’s Gold Rush Days.  We all enjoyed the parade Saturday morning instead.
 
Anyway, life always seems to be busy.  We are well.
 
Love,
Steve, Rozann & family

No comments:

Post a Comment

We'd love to hear from you!